Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Friends Out Of Chaos

International adoption has been a lot more emotionally challenging then I ever expected. This obviously is in part to the horrible situation of the bankruptcy, but the process itself challenges you at every step. First it’s excitement of the decision to adopt. For us we knew we would always do this, but it challenged societies opinion of creating a family, and therefore came with a lot of “why” questions.

Then there is the waiting. The endless waiting. The constant pushed out time frames. I can’t explain to anyone who hasn’t experienced it how emotionally draining it is. There are days where you want to give up, throw in the towel and say forget it, it’s not worth it (even though in your heart you know it is). It is days like the one I am describing that I am so glad to have gone through this experience with some of the people I have met.

When the bankruptcy happened, the Internet allowed me to meet people I never would have met otherwise. Daily e-mails, phone conversations and just knowing that there is someone out there who understands what you are going through completely is a wonderful thing. I have met one person in particular that has helped me through this process (you know who you are) that I can’t thank enough. On days where I felt like we want to give up, she inspires me to go on. On days where I need to vent, I e-mail her, and on the wonderful days I have had recently, she is just as excited as I am because in the adoption world every time someone get’s a referral, goes through a successful court date, get’s a VISA it is a celebration for all.

Yesterday I came home to a package. Inside was a lovely letter and a necklace. The necklace has two pendants on it, one with the picture of a girl and one with the picture of a boy. On the back of these pendants it has Celine and Tegegn’s name on them. There are no words to say thank you. Once again knowing that there is someone who get’s it is priceless! THANK-YOU

2 comments:

  1. How wonderful Dana! Sounds like this person is a very special friend! :) We've been thinking about you guys and the girls are so excited to meet their new cousin. Hope to see you soon!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, that is so uplifting. So any word about the visa yet. I'm praying that it is soon and you get to unite with Tegegn. Hang in there girl.

    ReplyDelete